TAMPA, Fla. (February 23, 2018) – The Tars could not get the bats going, as they fell to Tapma in game one of their three game series on the Gulf Coast. With the loss the Tars fall to 7-8 on the season, and move to .500 in the Sunshine State Conference at 2-2. The Spartans, who were picked to finish second in the preseason conference poll improve to 6-6, and 3-1 in SSC action.
Rollins pitchers Abby Summers and Grace Street held the Spartans to only two runs on five hits over six innings. However, the Tars' bats could only scatter four hits, while drawing one walk and one hit by pitch, as the Tars failed to cross the plate.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans got on the board early, courtesy of a bases loaded walk. Abby Summers was able to get out of the jam however. The junior tallied a strikeout and a fly out to get out of the inning only down 1-0.
- Tampa used a trio of singles to double their advantage in the fourth inning.
- The Tars biggest threat came in the fifth, when Sarah Harrison reached with two outs, and stole second. Jordan Davis then moved the sophomore over with a bunt single, putting runners on the corners, but the Tars could not complete the chance.
- Jordan Davis (CF) – 2-3
- Cristina Clauberg (SS) – 1-2, RBI
- Abby Summers – L, 3.2 IP, 2 Runs, 3 SO
- Makaleigh Dooley – W, CG, 0 Runs, 6 SO
- Sarah Harrison remained perfect on the base paths this season, stealing six bases in six attempts.
- Rollins falls to 1-2 on the road. The Tars are 2-5 in neutral site games, and 4-1 at home.
- Michelle Frew is now 778-333-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars and Spartans will finish their three game set with a doubleheader tomorrow, Saturday, February 24. First pitch of game one is set for 1 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.