TAMPA, Fla. (February 24, 2018) – The Tars pulled off another heart stopping doubleheader sweep to capture another Sunshine State Conference series win, this time over the Tampa Spartans. Rollins battled to a 2-0 shutout win in game one, while game two extended for 11 innings, before the Tars pulled out a 3-2 victory. Rollins improves to 9-8 on the year, and 4-2 in conference play, while Tampa drops to 6-8, and 3-3 in SSC action.
The Tars used a superb pitching performance from Grace Street to take game one. The junior held the Spartans off the board; and timely hitting gave the Rollins' defense all the support it would need. The Tars jumped out to an early advantage in game two, but Tampa would equalize late to force extra softball. Both teams would hold steady, and it took four extra frames before Rollins would find the game winning breakthrough.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Pitching dominated the day, as neither team could put a run on the scoreboard until the third frame.
- Grace Street escaped a bases loaded, no outs jam in the second frame. The junior struck three straight Spartans to close the inning and keep the game scoreless.
- Brianna Ernst tallied the Tars' first run of the game. The junior singled with two outs, and crossed the plate on a double by Lindsay Gehring.
- Both offenses would be stifled until the seventh, when the Tars doubled their advantage. Sarah Harrison would reach on an error, then come home on a Chandler Middlebrook sacrifice fly.
- Grace Street slammed the door closed in the seventh, retiring the Spartans one, two, three.
- Abby Summers escaped some early jams, retiring the Spartans with two runners on in the first and the bases loaded in the second to keep the game tied 0-0 through two innings.
- The Tars got on the board first with a pair in the third. Jordan Davis led off the frame with a bunt single, and was brought home by a Brianne Lint triple. Lint was then plated by an Abigail Sexton single, giving the Tars a 2-0 lead.
- That score held until the sixth when Tampa tied the score on a two run homerun.
- Both defenses stiffened as the innings kept going, as neither team would tally until
- Sexton was again the catalyst to a Rollins rally in the 11th, leading off the inning with a triple. Tayler Holt then tallied the vital RBI, knocking a two out double down the left field line.
- Grace Street, who entered in the sixth, again shut down Tampa, locking up the win for Rollins.
- Lindsay Gehring (C) – 1-3, 2B, RBI
- Maddie Farrell (C) – 2-2
- Grace Street – W, CG, 0 Runs, 3 Hits, 8 SO
- Sam Kaye – L, CG, 2 Runs, 1 ER, 7 SO
- Abigail Sexton (2B) – 2-4, 1 Run, 1 RBI
- Shelby Press (LF) – 2-5, HR, 2 RBI
- Grace Street – W, 6.0 IP, 1 Run, 2 SO
- Makaleigh Dooley – L, CG, 3 Runs, 4 SO
- The Tars are now 2-2 in extra inning games on the year. Both wins have come against conference opposition.
- Rollins, as a team, is second in the SSC in RBI. The Tars are led by Abigail Sexton and Chandler Middlebrook, both of who sit in the top-5 in the conference in runs driven in.
- Michelle Frew is now 780-332-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program
Rollins will return to Winter Park for doubleheader action, tomorrow, Sunday, February 25, when Kentucky State will visit Rollins Softball Stadium. First pitch against the Thorobreds is set for 1 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.