WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 25, 2018) – A banner day for Rollins softball ends with a doubleheader sweep of the Kentucky State Thorobrettes. Rollins improves to 11-8 on the year, while Kentucky State falls to 2-10 to begin the 2018 campaign.
Rollins got a stand out pitching performance from Erin Crawford in game one. The sophomore allowed only three Thorobrettes to reach base, two via walk and one on a fielder's choice, earning a no-hitter in her first start in the Blue and Gold. Also in game one, Chandler Middlebrook tied the program's single game mark with three doubles. Game two saw head coach Michelle Frew earn her 900th collegiate win, 782 of which have come at Rollins. Three Tars, Lindsay Gehring, Kara Wagstaff, and Cynthia Whitty, all blasted their first career homeruns on the day, as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Chandler Middlebrook started the scoring in the bottom of the first, knocking the first of her three doubles into left center field, scoring Jordan Davis, who had reached on a leadoff bunt.
- Rollins loaded the bases on an error and two walks, and capitalized with a run when Talia Kentoffio darted home on a failed pick off attempt. Middlebrook then laced her second double down the left field line, scoring the remaining two runners, and pushing the Rollins lead to 4-0.
- Middlebrook's third double leadoff the fourth, and she was brought home on an Abigail Sexton fielder's choice. Lindsay Gehring then sent a shot that just curled around the left field foul poll, extending the Tars' lead to 8-0.
- Erin Crawford sat down the last 11 Thorobrette batters in order, sealing the five inning victory for Rollins.
- Abby Summers allowed two runners in the first, before getting out of the jam with a strikeout, and settling into the contest.
- Rollins would get on the board in the second frame, courtesy of the long ball. Wagstaff started the scoring with a two run homerun to left center. After a Jenny Goldsher walk Cynthia Whitty lifted her shot to right center, making the score 4-0.
- Whitty would extend the Rollins lead in the fifth, reaching on a walk, stealing second and crossing home on a Kentucky State throwing error.
- Abby Summers 10 strikeout performance was her second double digit strikeout performance with the Tars, she fanned 13 in her Rollins debut.
- A pair of infield singles got the Thorobrettes on the board in the sixth, but that was as close as the contest would come. The Tars defense would secure the victory, ending the game in the top of the seventh with a classic six, three, five, two double play.
- Chandler Middlebrook (1B) – 3-3, 3 2B, 3 RBI, 1 Run
- Jittaun Thompson (SS) – 0-2, SB
- Erin Crawford – W, CG, 0 Hits, 4 SO
- Paola Flores – L, CG, 8 Runs, 7 ER, 2 SO
- Cynthia Whitty (CF) – 1-2, HR, 2 RBI, 2 Runs
- Adrix Paradizo-Ramos (2B) – 1-3, 1 RBI
- Abby Summers – W, CG, 1 Run, 10 SO
- Kaija Aikman – L, 4.0 IP, 4 Runs, 3 SO
- Erin Crawford's no-hitter was the first for Rollins since May 5, 2016, when Niki Fogle held West Florida hitless in a NCAA Regional contest.
- Lindsay Gehring, Cynthia Whitty and Kara Wagstaff each hit their first homeruns of their career's today. However, Wagstaff's longball was also her first career hit in a Rollins uniform.
- Middlebrook's single game record of three doubles is shared with three other players, including teammate Grace Street.
- The Tars are on a four game winning streak, matching their longest stretch of the year.
- Michelle Frew is now 782-332-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins will return to Sunshine State Conference action next Friday, March 2, when No. 18 Palm Beach Atlantic will make the trip north to Winter Park.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.