WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 8, 2018) – The Tars closed a seven game home stand with a doubleheader sweep over the Southwest Minnesota State Mustangs. Rollins took game one 4-2, before downing the Mustangs 8-0 in six innings in game two. Rollins improves to 15-11 on the year, while Southwest Minnesota State falls to 5-10 in 2018.
Rollins got a 10 strikeout performance from Abby Summers in game one, as she stifled the Mustangs. Rollins got timely hitting in the late innings to seal the victory. The Tars were the beneficiary of the long ball in game two. Brianne Lint blasted a homerun to start the scoring. The two run shot was her 100th hit of her career.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Rollins got on the board in the third inning, scoring twice. Cynthia Whitty reached on a single and Jordan Davis started the scoring with a RBI triple. Davis crossed the late when Chandler Middlebrook reached on an error.
- The Mustangs scored a run in the fourth, cutting the lead in half.
- Southwest Minnesota State would tie the game in the sixth, with an RBI double by Kaylee Hentges.
- Brianne Lint would play the hero for the Tars in game one. The senior came in to pinch hit with a pair of runners on, and knocked her 99th career hit, a single through the right side. Sarah Harrison and Talia Kentoffio scored on the play to give Rollins a 4-2 advantage.
- Abby Summers retired the side in order in the top of the seventh, including picking up her 10th strikeout of the day.
- The Tars would jump out to a lead in game two, scoring a pair in the second. Grace Street would single, before Brianne Lint lifted her 100th career hit over the wall in right center.
- Talia Kentoffio skied a shot just inside the left field foul poll in the third inning to give Rollins a 3-0 lead after three frames.
- Street, who started in the circle, helped her own cause with a three run shot in the fifth. The ball sailed over the right center field fence, scoring Abigail Sexton and Victoria Whalen.
- Sexton would end the game early with a two RBI double in the sixth, Kentoffio and Middlebrook scored on the play.
- Street ended the contest scattering only four hits over t=her six innings of work.
- Jordan Davis (CF) – 1-2, 3B, 1 Run, 1 RBI
- Kaylee Hentges (3B) – 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI
- Abby Summers – W, CG, 2 Runs, 1 ER, 10 SO
- Shelby Crank – L, CG, 4 Runs, 1 SO
- Grace Street (P) – 2-2, HR, 3 RBI, 2 Runs
- Mackenzie Clouse (C) – 2-3
- Grace Street – W, CG, 0 Runs, 4 Hits, 6 SO
- Athena Golling – L, 4.0 IP, 4 Runs, 2 SO
- Brianne Lint's tallied her 99th and 100th career hits on the night, a go ahead RBI in game one, and a homerun in game two.
- The Tars finished their home stand 4-3.
- Victoria Whalen's game two run was her first score of the 2018 season.
- Michelle Frew is now 786-335-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars be on the road tomorrow, Friday, March 9, when they travel to Lakeland to take on Sunshine State Conference rival Florida Southern. First pitch of game one, of the three game set, is scheduled for 7 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.