LAKELAND, Fla. (March 9, 2018) – Rollins came from behind to take game one of a three game series from the Florida Southern Moccasins, 4-3, in eight innings. With the win the Tars improve to 16-11 overall, and jump back to .500, 5-5, in Sunshine State Conference action. The Mocs drop just their sixth game of the year, as they move to 16-6, and 5-5 in SSC play.
Rollins gave up three runs in the first, but would battle back late to force the extra frame. Grace Street would throw 7.2 scoreless innings, while Brianna Ernst would tally the go ahead run in the top of the eighth for the Tars.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Tars stranded runners on second and third in the top of the first, before the Mocs would jump ahead in the bottom of the frame. A walk, a double, a single, and a wild pitch would chase Rollins' starter Abby Summers. Street would come in close the inning, but not before the Mocs had a 3-0 lead.
- The Tars would start their rally in the third, when Jordan Davis led off the frame with a bunt single, and came around to score on a double by freshman shortstop Talia Kentoffio.
- Grace Street stymied the Florida Southern bats, giving the Tars a chance in the top of the seventh.
- Rollins would pull even in what would have been their final at bat. Jenny Goldsher and Sarah Harrison started the inning for Rollins with a walk and a single. Goldsher scored when Jordan Davis reached on a fielding error, and Harrison crossed the plate on a Chandler Middlebrook double, tying the game at 3-3.
- The Tars wasted no time in the extra frames. Brianna Ernst was hit by a pitch to start the eighth, she was bunted over to second, and made her way to third on a wild pitch. She would score on a throwing error, after Sarah Harrison grounded to the shortstop.
- Grace street would slam the door closed in the seventh, retiring the Mocs in order.
- Chandler Middlebrook (1B) – 2-5, 2B, 1 RBI
- Jessica Trana (1B) – 2-2, 2B, 1 RBI, 1 Run
- Grace Street – W, 7.2 IP, 4 Hits, 0 Runs, 4 SO
- Kelli Gault – L, 2.0 IP, 1 Hit, 1 Run, 0 ER, 1 SO
- Chandler Middlebrook increased her SSC leading RBI total to 24, Abigail Sexton still sits in second, with 21.
- Grace Street lowered her ERA to 1.60, currently the eighth lowest in the conference.
- Michelle Frew is now 787-335-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars and Mocs will conclude their three game conference series with doubleheader action tomorrow, March 10. First pitch of game one is set for 1 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.