LAKELAND, Fla. (March 10, 2018) – The Tars split a doubleheader against the Florida Southern Mocs, securing their third series win, out of four Sunshine State Conference sets this season. Rollins moves to 17-12 overall and 6-6 in SSC contests. Florida Southern ends the three game set 17-7 overall and 6-6 in conference action.
The Tars took advantage of four Florida Southern errors to win a high scoring first game, 7-6. Rollins held on through a furious comeback attempt by the Mocs in the final inning. The Tars struggled to get the bats going in game two, only managing two hits in a 7-0 defeat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Chandler Middlebrook opened the scoring, and extended her RBI lead in the SSC, driving in Jordan Davis with a first inning double.
- The Mocs would respond quickly, pouncing on a pair of Tars' errors to put up two runs in the bottom of the first.
- Rollins would tie the game in the top of the second, Brianna Ernst crossing the plate on a Florida Southern error to make it 2-2.
- The Mocs would regain the lead in the bottom of the frame, plating another two runs to take a 4-2 lead after two.
- More Florida Southern errors allowed three runs to score in the third; Talia Kentoffio, Kara Wagstaff, and Brianne Lint all tallying to give Rollins a 5-4 advantage.
- Rollins would manufacture another unearned run in the fourth, making the score 6-4.
- Ernst knocked a vital RBI single to center field in the top of the seventh, scoring Abigail Sexton, and giving the Tars a crucial insurance run.
- The Mocs would tally twice in the bottom of the seventh, to pull within one, but Grace Street would get Jenna Weldon to ground out, securing the Rollins win.
- The Mocs jumped out to an early lead with a run in the bottom of the second inning.
- The Tars threatened in the third, but stranded runners on second and third. Florida Southern capitalized and extended the to 3-0 in the bottom of the frame.
- Florida Southern chased the Tars' starter Abby Summers with three runs in the fifth.
- The Mocs would add one more run in the sixth, before seeing out the game in the seventh.
- Chandler Middlebrook (1B) – 2-3, 2B, 1 RBI
- Shannon Bell (CF) – 3-4, 1 RBI, 3 Runs
- Grace Street – W, CG, 6 Runs, 4 ER, 3 SO
- Kelli Gault – L, 4.0 IP, 6 Runs, 3 ER, 1 SO
- Brianna Ernst (3B) – 1-2, 2B, BB
- Shannon Bell (CF) – 4-4, 1 RBI, 2 Runs
- Abby Summers – L, 4.2 IP, 6 Runs, 2 SO
- Jenna Weldon – W, CG, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 1 SO
- Chandler Middlebrook's game one RBI gives her 25 on the year, as she continues to lead the SSC. She has also tallied 13 doubles, and is just four away from breaking into the Tars top-10 list for doubles in a single season.
- Rollins 15 homeruns are the most among the Sunshine State Conference.
- The Tars are now 5-3 in true road games during the 2018 campaign.
- Michelle Frew is now 788-336-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars will play a pair of games at the PFX Spring Games next Tuesday. Rollins will face Quincy at 9 a.m. and Bloomsburg at 11:30 a.m. Both games will be held in Clermont, Florida.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.