WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 15, 2018) – The Tars finished non-conference action with a doubleheader sweep of Southern Connecticut State. Rollins took game one by a score of 8-2, before handling the Owls in game two, 7-4. Rollins improves to 20-13 on the year, while Southern Connecticut State falls to 2-6 in their young campaign.
The Tars got a dominant pitching performance from Grace Street in game one to cruise to victory. While a big fourth inning paved the way for the Tars victory in game two. The Tars also stole 12 bases in the two games, setting up their big run totals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Rollins got on the board early with three runs in the bottom of the first. Chandler Middlebrook started the scoring with a two run blast to centerfield that scored Jordan Davis. The third came across when Talia Kentoffio darted home on a Brianne Lint suicide bunt.
- Davis scored her second run of the day in the third. The junior stole third and saw the catchers throw skip into the outfield, allowing her to scamper home.
- Sarah Harrison scored in a similar fashion in the fourth, stealing third and advancing on a throw, starting a three run fourth for the Tars. Middlebrook added to her conference leading RBI total with a single that plated Brianna Ernst. The senior then scored herself on a double by Kentoffio.
- The Owls would post a pair of runs in the top of the fifth. However, Rollins would respond in the bottom of the frame, Lindsay Gehring slapping a RBI single that scored Harrison.
- Grace Street would see the game out, finishing the contest with 13 strikeouts, and at least one strikeout in every inning.
- The Tars would again start the scoring plating one in the first. Talia Kentoffio putting down a perfect bunt that scored Jordan Davis.
- A RBI single by Lauryn Zubia in the top of the second would knot the game at 1-1.
- Rollins would blow the game open in the fourth tallying six runs, bringing nine Tars to the plate. Davis, Chandler Middlebrook, and Abigail Sexton all earned RBI, but the inning was highlighted by a three run blast off the bat of Brianne Lint.
- The Owls would try to spark a rally in the sixth, scoring three runs to make the scored 7-4. Southern Connecticut State was threatening, with the tying run at the plate, but Abby Sexton got Bryanna McIntosh to fly out to en the frame.
- Grace Street would enter the game in the seventh, and earn her second save, tallying two more strikeouts.
- Chandler Middlebrook (1B) – 3-4, HR, 3 RBI, 2 Runs
- Delany Turner (DP) – 2-3, 2 RBI
- Grace Street – W, CG, 2 Runs, 13 SO
- Victoria Ceballos – L, 0.1 IP, 3 Runs, 2 ER
- Jordan Davis (CF) – 3-4, 1 RBI, 1 Run
- Kailey Westington (DP) – 2-3, 2 2B, 1 Run
- Abby Summers – W, 6.0 IP, 4 Runs, 4 SO
- Jazmyn Martinez – L, 3.2 IP, 7 Runs, 3 SO
- The Tars finish non-conference play with a 14-7 mark.
- Grace Street's tallied 13 strikeouts in game one, a new career high for the junior.
- With her game two homerun Brianne Lint moves into a tie for ninth on the Tars all-time homeruns list.
- Michelle Frew is now 791-337-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
After taking a week off, Rollins will dive full throttle into SSC play. Rollins will open the final stretch of their season by hosting Eckerd for a three game set. Game one is set for Friday, March 23, at 7 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.