WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 24, 2018) – The Tars struggled offensively, picking up a pair of conference losses against Eckerd in doubleheader action. With the defeats the Tars fall to 21-15 on the year, and 7-8 in Sunshine State Conference play. Eckerd improves to 14-18 in the 2018 campaign, and 5-10 in SSC action.
The Tars bats fell flat, as Rollins managed just one late run in each contest. The Tars fell in game one by a score of 4-1. A big inning by the Tritons then proved to ball they would need in the series rubber match, as Eckerd again bested Rollins, 7-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Abby Summers and Triton started Ally Costa both sailed through the first four frames, giving up just one hit a piece.
- Eckerd would get on the board with a two out, two RBI, double by Kaleigh Floyd in the fifth.
- The Tritons would then tally a pair of insurance runs in the top of the seventh. Another Floyd double plated two more Eckerd runs.
- Talia Kentoffio led off the Tars' half of the final frame, getting hit by a pitch. She would enventually score, on an Abigail Sexton double to the right center field gap. However, that was as close as Rollins would get, as the Tars drop game one.
- Both teams had chances, getting runners on base in the first two frames, but neither team could find the decisive hit.
- Eckerd blew the game open in the third with a seven run inning. A Crystal Garcia three run homerun highlighted the frame, as 11 Tritons came to the plate, scoring seven runs, on seven hits, and one Rollins error.
- Both pitchers would then settle down, as Grace Street would not surrender a hit the remainder of the contest.
- Rollins broke the shutout in the bottom of the seventh again. Cynthia Whitty driving home pinch runner Tayler Holt with a high chopping single to the pitcher.
- Abigail Sexton (2B) – 1-3, 2B, 1 RBI
- Kaleigh Floyd (CF) – 2-4, 2 2B, 4 RBI
- Abby Summers – L, CG, 4 Runs, 2 ER, 4 SO
- Ally Costa – W, 5.0 IP, 0 Runs, 3 SO
- Cynthia Whitty (CF) – 1-1, 1 RBI
- Crystal Garcia (SS) – 2-4, HR, 3 RBI, 1 Run
- Grace Street – L, CG, 7 Runs, 4 ER, 5 SO
- Nikole Van Gennep – W, CG, 1 Run, 8 SO
- Abigail Sexton's game one RBI was her 24th on the season, placing her second on the team.
- With four game one strikeouts Abby Summers moved over the century mark, as she has now fanned 103 batters in her first season in the blue and gold.
- Michelle Frew is now 792-339-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins will take to the road to continue SSC play. Rollins will head to Melbourne for a three game set against Florida Tech. Game one is set for Thursday, March 29, at 3 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.