MELBOURNE, Fla. (March 29, 2018) – Rollins dropped the series opener to Sunshine State Conference rival Florida Tech. With the loss Rollins falls to 21-16 overall and 7-9 in SSC action. The Panthers improve to 22-17 on the year, and 6-10 in conference play.
Rollins fell behind early, and could not touch Florida Tech starter Melanie Murphy. The Tars managed only two hits in the contest, both coming in the third frame. Grace Street would recover from some early setbacks have a quality start in the circle, throwing six innings, and giving up just two runs while striking out six.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Tars fell behind early when the Panthers were able to take advantage of a wild pitch in the bottom of the first. Florida Tech would then double their lead in the second courtesy of a two out RBI double.
- The Tars would threaten with a pair of runners in the third, off a pair of singles from Brianna Ernst and Chandler Middlebrook, but Rollins could not take advantage, and the score remained 2-0.
- Rollins would again threaten in the sixth. The Tars loaded the bases with one out, but could not produce a run.
- Grace Street would settle into the contest after the two early runs, allowing just two hits over the final four innings. However, the offense could not make the effort pay off, falling 2-0.
- Chandler Middlebrook (1B) – 1-2, BB
- Shanysse Emerenciana (SS) – 1-2, 2B, 1 RBI
- Grace Street – L, CG, 2 Runs, 6 SO
- Melanie Murphy – W, CG, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 7 SO
- After a six strikeout performance, Grace Street sits tied with teammate Abby Summers for third in the SSC with 103 strikeouts on the year.
- The all-time series between the Panthers and the Tars is now tied, through 102 contests, both teams are 51-51.
- Michelle Frew is now 792-340-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars and the Panthers conclude their three game set with a doubleheader tomorrow, Friday, March 30, with the first pitch of game one scheduled for 1 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.