MELBOURNE, Fla. (March 30, 2018) – Rollins salvaged a win in their three game series against the Florida Tech Panthers, taking the first game of a Friday doubleheader, before dropping the rubber match in game two. Following today's action, the Tars sit at 22-17 over all and 8-10 in Sunshine State Conference play. The Panthers move to 23-18 overall, and 8-10 against SSC opposition.
Game one was a back and forth affair. The Panthers would jump out to an early lead, but Rollins would answer with a big inning of their own. After another Florida Tech rally tied the score Rollins would manufacture the game winning run in the fifth, and hold on in the final frames for the game one victory. Rollins bats would fall silent in the second game, as the Tars could only manage four hits, while a trio of big innings gave the Panthers an insurmountable lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Rollins would fall behind early, with the Panther scoring a run in the first frame on a two out RBI single.
- Rollins would put up three runs in the top of the third to take the lead. An Abigail Sexton, two RBI, single highlighted the frame for the Tars. However, the Panthers would manufacture a pair of score in the bottom of the inning to knot the score at 3-3 after three.
- Grace Street would put the Tars back on top in the bottom of the fifth, scoring on an error off the bat of Brianna Ernst.
- Grace Street came on in the late innings, grabbing her third save of the campaign, and securing the win for junior Abby Summers.
- Rollins would get two of their four hits in the first frame, but a caught stealing doomed the threat for the Tars.
- A hit by pitch followed by thee consecutive singles accounted for a two run rally for the Panthers in the third.
- An RBI double, and a two RBI single, in the bottom of the fourth, extended the Florida Tech lead to 5-0.
- The Panthers would add a pair of insurance runs in the sixth to take a 7-0 leadinto the final frame.
- The Tars were unable to mount the comeback, as Rollins went down in order in the seventh.
- Abigail Sexton (2B) – 3-4, 2 RBI
- Vanessa Rubio (C) – 2-2, 2 RBI, Sac
- Abby Summers – W, 4.0 IP, 3 Runs, 2 ER, 1 SO
- McKenzie Krutsinger – L, 2.1 IP, 4 Hits, 3 Runs, 0 ER
- Jordan Davis (CF) – 2-3
- Jessica Callahan (LF) – 2-3, 3 RBI, SB
- Grace Street – L, 5.0 IP, 5 Runs, 5 SO
- Melanie Murphy – W, CG, 0 Runs, 4 SO
- The all time series between the Tars and the Panthers is now locked at 52-52.
- With two RBI in game one, Abigail Sexton moved into sole possession of fourth place in the SSC.
- Michelle Frew is now 793-341-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins will remain in conference next weekend, when they continue their road trip with a visit to Daytona Beach to take on the Embry-Riddle Eagles. First pitch of game one is set for Friday, April 6, at 6 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.