DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 8, 2018) – Rollins took game three from the Embry-Riddle Eagles after weather forced the game to be played over two days. Rollins led 4-2 when the game was postponed last night. The two teams returned to the field in the fifth inning today, and Rollinsheld on for the 4-3 victory. With the win the Tars improve to 23-19, and 9-12 in Sunshine State Conference play. Embry-Riddle falls to 27-12, and 15-9 in SSC play, after receiving votes in the latest national poll.
Rollins scored four runs during play yesterday, putting up one run in each of the first four frames. The Tars were then able to hold their lead during the final three innings of play today.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Jordan Davis reached on a bunt single, then crossed the plate on an Amanda Guglietta RBI singles, giving Rollins a 1-0 lead in the first.
- Abigail Sexton led off the second with a single. The junior then stole second, was bunted over to third, and scored on a Sarah Harrison groundout.
- Brianne Lint leadoff the third with her team leading seventh homerun of the season, a solo shot down the left field line.
- Harrison continued her stellar game, scoring on a Davis RBI single, giving Rollins a 4-2 lead.
- The Eagles manufactured a pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth, cutting the Tars lead in half, at 4-2.
- Lightning forced the delay in the top of the fifth, as the conclusion of the game was pushed from Saturday, April 7, to Sunday, April 8.
- Embry-Riddle would pull within one run in the bottom of the seventh, crossing the plate on a sacrifice fly. However, Grace Street saw out the contest, earning a complete game win.
- Brianna Ernst (3B) – 3-3, 3B
- Mackie Chandler (RF) – 1-3, 1 RBI, 1 Run
- Grace Street – W, CG, 3 Runs, 3 SO
- Ilona Andringa – L, CG, 4 Runs, 2 ER, 4 SO
- Brianne Lint's third inning homerun puts her in a tie for the SSC lead with seven long balls on the year.
- Brianna Ernst's three hit performance gives her a new career high for hits in a single game.
- Michelle Frew is now 794-343-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars will now return to Winter Park, where they will host Nova Southeastern in a three game series. Game one is scheduled to start on Saturday, April 14, at 6 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.