BOCA RATON, Fla. (April 20, 2018) – The Tars recovered from an early deficit, and held off a late Lynn rally to pick up the win in their series opener against the Fighting Knights. With the win Rollins improves to 26-20 on the year, and 12-13 in Sunshine State Conference action. Lynn falls below .500 to 22-23 on the season, and 10-15 in conference play.
Brianne Lint had a big day, driving in three of the Tars four runs, including a two run homerun in the third, her eighth of the year. Sarah Harrison added three hits, as Rollins out hit the Fighting Knights, with 10 base knocks, to Lynn's three. Grace Steet tossed a complete game, picking up her win number 15 on the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn jumped out to the early lead with a two run homerun in the bottom of the first. Kayla Sheffield hit the blast, which also scored Victoria Rios.
- Sarah Harrison started the Rollins rally in the third. The sophomore hit a one out single, and, after a sacrifice bunt, scored on a Chandler Middlebrook double. Brianne Lint would then give Rollins the lead, lifting her two run shot over the left field fence.
- Harrison would again be the catalyst for another Tars score in the fifth. The Geneva, Florida native again slapped a single to the left side, and came home on a Brianne Lint RBI single for the vital insurance run.
- Two hit batters, and an error loaded the bases in for Lynn in their final at bat. The Fighting knights would get one run back on an RBI groundout, but Grace Street would slam the door closed by striking out Rios for the third out, sealing the 4-3 win for Rollins.
- Brianne Lint (RF) – 2-3, HR, 1 Run, 3 RBI
- Kayla Sheffield (DP) – 2-3, HR, 1 Run, 2 RBI
- Grace Street – W, CG, 3 Runs, 2 ER, 6 SO
- Francais Olexa – L, CG, 4 Runs, 3 SO
- Brianne Lint's eight homeruns ties her for the most in the conference
- Chandler Middlebrook added to her SSC leading totals in doubles and RBI, she now has 16 and 37 respectively.
- Grace Street's 128 strikeouts is third most in the SSC. The junior has know also reached a career high with 159.2 innings pitched this season, Surpassing her 159.0 last season.
- With one home run a piece in the contest, Lynn and Rollins continue to pace the SSC in long balls. The Fighting Knights have tallied 26, while the Tars have blasted 25.
- Michelle Frew is now 797-344-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars and Fighting Knights will finish their three game series with a doubleheader tomorrow, Saturday, April 21. First pitch of game one from Boca Raton is set for 1 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.