WINTER PARK, Fla. (April 27, 2018) – The Tars shutout the Barry Bucs behind a Grace Street no-hitter, to open their final series of the season with a win. Rollins improves to 27-22 on the year, and 13-15 in Sunshine State Conference play. The Buccaneers fall to 22-30 overall and 7-21 in SSC action.
Street struck out seven batters, on the way to her the no-hitter and her 16th win of the season. The only base runner came via walk in the sixth inning. Brianne Lint also reached a career milestone on the evening, driving in runs number 99 and 100 on her career with a two run homerun in the third inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After Grace Street got her night rolling with a strikeout in the top of the first, Chandler Middlebrook put the Tars on the board in the bottom of the inning. The senior sent the ball over the right field fence to give Rollins a 1-0 lead.
- Street continued cruising, striking out a pair of Bucs in the top of the third. Middlebrook would single with two outs in the bottom of the inning, to bring up fellow senior Brianne Lint. The Palm Beach Gardens, Florida native crushed the ball to straightaway center field to pad the Tars lead, and reach her the triple digit landmark.
- Street sailed through the fourth, fifth, and sixth, giving up just the two walk, heading into the seventh. Alayna Gallagher led off the frame by bouncing out Abigail Sexton at second base. Street tallied her seventh strikeout on the second out, getting Madison VonHagel to reach on a pitch breaking outside. Anieliese Palmeiro provided the final hope for Bucs, and she made sharp contact, but, appropriately the ball went right to Street who fielded it and threw to first, sealing the memorable victory.
- Chander Middlebrook (DP) – 2-4, HR, 2 Runs, 1 RBI
- Peyton Rawls (1B) – 0-1, BB
- Grace Street – W, CG, 0 Hits, 7 SO, 1 BB
- Geneva Santos – L, CG, 8 Hits, 3 Runs, 5 SO
- This was the second no-hitter of the season for Rollins; but it was the first SSC no-hitter for Rollins since 2012.
- Chandler Middlebrook extended her conference leading RBI total to 39 with her first inning homerun.
- Brianne Lint now sits in a tie for first in the conference with nine homeruns, while Middlebrook is tied for fourth with seven.
- Michelle Frew is now 798-346-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins will conclude their 2018 campaign with a doubleheader against the Bucs tomorrow, Saturday, April 28, at 1 p.m. Prior to the game the Tars will honor seniors Kacie Booth, Brianne Lint, and Chandler Middlebrook.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.