Rollins (12-12, 7-11 SSC) vs. Eckerd (18-6, 12-5 SSC)
Saturday, February 17, 2018 – 2 p.m.
Winter Park, Fla. – Warden Arena
Rollins closes its 2017-18 home schedule Saturday, hosting Eckerd for senior day. The Tars are looking for a strong finish to the regular season, sitting tied for eighth in the Sunshine State Conference standings with two games left in the slate. The top eight teams at the end of the year get bids into the postseason and two wins would greatly bolster the Tars resume. With Florida Southern having already wrapped up the regular season title, Eckerd and Embry-Riddle are tied for second in the conference standings vying for the No. 2 seed in the tourney. The Tritons have won three in a row heading into Winter Park. EC has a road record of 5-4 on the season while Rollins is 10-4 at home. Head coach Glenn Wilkes Jr. continues his quest for 700 wins, currently sitting at 697. The last time Rollins and Eckerd met was a back and forth overtime battle in St. Pete that went the Tritons way, 75-74.
TRACKING THE TARS:
Rollins visited Nova Southeastern on Wednesday riding high after a win over Palm Beach Atlantic last Saturday, but fell victim to a late Sharks run and fell 75-66. Julia Ingler continued her hot February, leading the Tars with 19 points and three steals. Vernisha Andrews totaled 16 points and 13 rebounds, one game removed from a career-high 15 rebound performance. Ingler is the Tars top scorer on the season with 13.7 points per game. She is 60-of-159 (38 percent) from beyond the arc, the fifth-best mark in the SSC. Denise Daniels averages 9.6 points and 5.7 rebounds a game while Jaylyn Harrison is putting up 8.3 points a night. Andrews leads the team with 8.5 rebounds a game while Carly McLendon contributes 7.9 rebounds and an SSC second-best 2.8 blocks a game. Rollins is sixth in the league in offense with 65.9 points a game and seventh in scoring defense, allowing 63.8 a night.
TRACKING THE TRITONS:
Eckerd has won three in a row and sits tied for second in the SSC and sixth in the NCAA Division II South Region ranking. The Tritons are coming off a 72-67 win at Embry-Riddle on Wednesday. Chelsea Johnson led the way with 18 points while Yarden Danan scored 15 and Kacie Juday added 15 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Juday leads the season box score with 12.3 points, 8.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists a night. Zoe Richards averages 11.7 points a game while shooting 63 percent from the field. Danan is getting 10.7 points a game and Johnson chips in 10.2 points a night. EC is second in the conference in scoring with 69.5 points a night and third in defense, surrendering 60.1 a game.
- Rollins leads the all-time series with Eckerd 70-20, dating back to the first meeting in 1976. The Tars lead in Winter Park 35-8.
- The Tars and Tritons last met on December 30 with EC edging Rollins 75-74 in overtime. Vernisha Andrews scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead the Tars. Zoe Richards pumped in 26 points off the bench to lead Eckerd.
- Glenn Wilkes Jr is 697-247 in his 31st year leading the Tars; Paul Honsinger is 204-145 in his 12th season with EC.
- Julia Ingler is 14th on the Tars all-time scoring list with 1190 career points. She needs one to pass Jennifer Musgrove for 13th on the chart.
- Ingler hold the Rollins all-time three-point shooting record with 233 from distance. Her mark is 29 more than second place.
- Carly McLendon is the Tars all-time blocks leader with 174 career rejections; 34 more than second place.
NEXT UP FOR ROLLINS:
The Tars are on the road for their regular season finale, visiting Saint Leo on February 24 for a 5:30 p.m. tip. The 2018 Sunshine State Conference Tournament's opening round is slated for Wednesday, February 28 on campus sites. The semifinals and finals are being hosted by Florida Southern March 3-4 in Lakeland. All games can be found on the SSC Digital Network at SunshineStateConference.tv and the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.