Friday, November 23, 2018
Rollins vs. Puerto Rico-Mayaguez – Noon
Hillsdale vs. USciences – 2 p.m.
Saturday, November 24, 2018
Consolation Game – Noon
Championship Game – 2 p.m.
Winter Park, Fla. | Warden Arena
WATCH: Tars Sports Network – RollinsSportsLive.com
Looking to get back to its winning ways, Rollins women's basketball is set to host the annual Tars Thanksgiving Tournament, Nov. 23-24 in Winter Park. The Blue and Gold welcome the University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez, Hillsdale College and the University of the Sciences to the event. Rollins dropped both games at last week's Florida Tech Classic to keep head coach Glenn Wilkes Jr. at 698 career wins. He will look for career win No. 700 at home with the next four games all at Warden Arena. Mayaguez is on its annual Florida swing and dropped the first two games of the trip to Tampa and Florida Southern. Hillsdale comes to Winter Park from snowy Michigan and brings a record of 0-3. Sciences traveled from Philadelphia and is 3-0 on the year moving up to No. 13 in the latest WBCA Division II Coaches Poll. The Tars won the tournament a year ago, beating then 20th-ranked Caldwell in the final.
Tracking the Tars:
After a season opening win against Webber International, the Tars dropped both at Florida Tech last week to fall to 1-2 on the year. Guard Yari Martinez-Toro Forward Carly McLendon lead the Tars on the season, both scoring 10.3 points a game. Martinez-Toro is also handing out 2.7 assists a night while McLendon adds 5.3 blocks and seven rebounds a game. Jasmine Smith scores 6.7 points a game and Jaylyn Harrison nets 5.3 a night. Vernisha Andrews leads the team on the glass with eight rebounds a game. Last time out, the Tars were nipped by NYIT 50-49. Martinez-Toro led the way with 18 points while McLendon tallied 12 points, seven rebounds and seven blocks.
Tracking the Janes:
Mayaguez fell to Tampa 89-40 in its season opener and dropped a 116-48 decision to Florida Southern its last time out. Maria Medina and Monica Perez both had 11 points to lead the way. Perez averages 12 points a game on the season to pace the Janes while Medina scores eight a game. Gianna Rodriguez adds six points and five rebounds a night. Mayaguez is an independent member of NCAA Division II and plays in the LAI League in Puerto Rico.
Tracking the Chargers:
Hillsdale hosted three-straight to start the year, dropping consecutive games to Lewis and UIndy before falling to Ferris State 91-77 its last time out. Lauren Daffenberg poured in 23 points off the bench to lead the Chargers. Grace Touchette added 15 points and Brittany Gray scored 14. Hillsdale shot 53 percent in the game, but committed 26 turnovers. Daffenberg averages 13 points a game while Makenna Ott is getting 11.7 points and five rebounds and 4.6 assists a game. Hillsdale is a member of the Great Midwest Athletic Conference and is located in Hillsdale, Michigan.
Tracking the Devils:
Ranked No. 15 in the WBCA Preseason poll, USciences won its first three to move up to No. 13 in the latest ranking. The Devils are coming off a 77-70 win over West Chester last week. All five starters scored in double figures, led by 20 from Irisa Ye. Jordan Vitelli added 16 while Taylor Hamm tallied 14 points and six rebounds. Ye leads the season boxscore with 17.3 points a game while Alex Thomas gets 13.3 a game. Vitelli averages 11.3 points and 4.7 rebounds a game. Located in Philadelphia, USciences plays in the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference.
- Rollins is 12-0 all-time against Puerto Rico Mayaguez. They last played in Nov. 2013 with the Tars posting a 70-42 victory.
- Rollins has never played Hillsdale or University of Sciences in women's basketball.
- Carly McLendon leads the nation in blocks per game with 5.33 a night.
- Carly McLendon is fifth in the nation in total blocks with 16.
- Carly McLendon is the Tars all-time leader in 201 career swats.
- Rollins is ranked 19th in the country in rebounding margin, beating teams on the glass by nearly 12 a game.
- Head Coach Glenn Wilkes Jr. is 698-249 in his 33-year career. He is the 17th winningest active coach among all divisions and has the fourth-most wins in NCAA Division II.
- 1 - 11/22/86 vs. Palm Beach Atlantic 123-86
- 50 - 12/28/88 vs. Milwaukee School of Engineering 103-57... to pass Ginny Mack for second place all-time
- 66 - 02/25/89 vs. Barry 112-89... Wilkes becomes Tars all-time leader in wins
- 100 - 01/10/91 vs. Armstrong State 62-43
- 150 - 01/08/94 vs. St. Francis 85-25
- 200 - 02/14/96 vs. North Florida 70-56
- 250 - 12/28/98 vs. Allentown College 88-60
- 300 - 12/02/00 vs. Nova Southeastern 85-74
- 350 - 12/02/02 vs. Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras 59-40
- 400 - 12/01/04 vs. Flagler 65-46
- 450 - 12/13/06 vs. Webber International 70-47
- 500 - 01/10/09 vs. Tampa 61-48
- 550 - 01/29/11 vs. Nova Southeastern 80-79
- 600 - 03/07/13 vs. Florida Tech 79-53
- 650 - 03/13/15 vs. Eckerd 73-71
Rollins opens the Sunshine State Conference schedule on Wednesday, November 28, hosting Embry-Riddle at 5:30 p.m. Fans can catch the action live on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.com.