Rollins (8-5, 5-2 SSC) at Eckerd (9-4, 4-2 SSC)
Saturday, January 12, 2018 | 2 p.m.
St. Petersburg, Fla. | McArthur Center
Set-up: Coming off a tough loss at Tampa on Wednesday, Rollins jumps right back on the road and visits Eckerd Saturday afternoon. The Tars are second in the Sunshine State Conference standings, 1.5 games behind leader Florida Southern. Eckerd is one of three teams at 4-2 in the league, tied for third place. For the second-straight game, Rollins expects a defensive battle with both teams allowing under 57 points a game. The Tars are 1-2 in the new year while the Tritons have won all three games in 2019. EC most recently beat Nova Southeastern on the road by three. Rollins is 2-3 on the road this season while Eckerd is 4-2 at the McArthur Center.
Tracking the Tars: Rollins couldn't bust through the nation's fourth-ranked defense of Tampa and fell 55-44 Wednesday night. Yari Martinez-Toro led the Tars offense with 13 points while handing out three assists. Carly McLendon recorded eight points and six rebounds. McLendon continues to lead the season box score with 10.4 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. She is third in the SSC on the glass and leads the league with 38 total blocks and 2.9 rejections a game. Martinez-Toro is getting 10.1 points a game and has hit a team-best 21 three-pointers. Denise Daniels averages 8.2 points and 4.1 rebounds a game. Jaylyn Harrison and Vernisha Andrews are both scoring 6.5 a game with Andrews also getting 7.1 rebounds a game. Rollins is second in the conference in defense, allowing just 55 points a game, while sitting sixth in the league in offense at 65.4 a night. The Tars are the top rebounding team in the league, beating teams on the glass by 9.2 a night.
Tracking the Tritons: Eckerd has won four of its last five and is coming off a tight 59-56 win at Nova Southeastern on Wednesday. Yarden Danan hit the winning three-pointer with 12 seconds left to lift the Tritons to the win. Chelsea Johnson scored 18 points to lead EC. Zoe Richards added 13 points and six rebounds while Danan ended with 10 points. Johnson leads the season box score with 13.1 points a game, shooing 50 percent from the field and 37 percent from long range. Danan is getting 11.9 points and four rebounds a night while Richards averages 10 points and 3.3 rebounds a game. The Tritons are fourth in the league in defense, allowing just 56.2 a night, while ranking second in offense with 74.2 a game.
- Rollins leads its all-time series with Eckerd 70-21. EC has won seven of the last 10 meetings.
- Rollins lost both games against Eckerd last season, falling 75-74 in overtime on the road and 79-62 at home.
- The Tars are 28-10 all-time at the McArthur Center.
- Rollins is 16th in the nation in defense, allowing 55 points a game.
- Rollins +11.4 rebounding margin is seventh-best in the conference.
- Rollins is 21st in the nation in blocks per game at 4.7.
- Carly McLendon (RC) is sixth in the nation in blocks per game (3.17) and 10th in total blocks (38).
- Eckerd is 24th in the nation in scoring defense, allowing 56.2 points a game.
- Eckerd is 16th in scoring margin, beating teams by 18 points a game.
- Eckerd is 19th in the country in free throw percentage, hitting 76 percent from the line as a team.
- Eckerd is 17th nationally in turnovers per game (12.9) and 14th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.24).
- Rollins Head Coach Glenn Wilkes Jr. is 705-254 in his 33-year career. He has the third-most wins among Division II coaches and fourth-most all-time.
Rollins is idle on Wednesday and will be back in action on Saturday, January 19 hosting SSC leader Florida Southern. Tip off is slated for 2 p.m. in Warden Arena. Fans can listen to the action live on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.