Rollins (9-9, 6-6 SSC) vs. Saint Leo (8-12, 3-9 SSC)
Saturday, February 2 | 2 p.m.
Winter Park, Fla. | Warden Arena
Set-up: Down to just eight games left in the regular season, Rollins is set to battle Saint Leo Saturday in a key Sunshine State Conference match-up. The Tars are .500 both overall and in league play, sitting tied with Lynn for sixth-place. Rollins was on the road for its last two, falling to Lynn and Embry-Riddle in games that came down to the final plays. The Tars are 7-3 at home this year while Saint Leo is 2-5 on the road. The Lions have lost four of their last five and are coming off a through beating at the hands of Eckerd on Wednesday. Leo is ninth in the SSC, currently a spot away from a bid into the SSC Tournament.
Tracking the Tars: Rollins had a rough two-game stretch on the road, falling to Lynn 71-70 in double overtime and most recently a 71-66 loss at Embry-Riddle on Wednesday. Rachel Jablonski led the way against the Eagles with a career-high 19 points, shooting 7-of-11 from the field, including 4-of-6 from three-point range. Yari Martinez-Toro netted 11 with Denise Daniels, Rachel Lia and Jaylyn Harrison all scoring 10 points. Martinez-Toro tops the season box score with 9.7 points a game. Carly McLendon is getting 9.6 points, 8.2 rebounds and a league best 2.7 blocks a game. Daniels averages 7.8 points a game. While not having anyone average in double figures scoring, Rollins has eight putting up better than five a game. The Tars are sixth in the conference with 64.4 points a night while sitting fourth in defense, allowing just 59.7 a game. On the glass, Rollins is a conference-best +7.4 rebounds a game.
Tracking the Lions: The Lions head into the final full month of the season looking to string together a few wins and get into the SSC postseason bracket. Leo is coming off a 75-52 loss at Eckerd on Wednesday. Madelin Lang tallied 15 points and eight rebounds while Casey Wortley put up 11 points and grabbed eight boards. Gina Brierley scored 10. Wortley is the lone Lion to average in double figures scoring, netting 10.4 a game to go along with 6.2 rebounds a night. Brierley is scoring 9.1 a game and has handed out a team-best 73 assists. Alani Gallagher averages 7.8 points and five rebounds an outing. Saint Leo is 10th in the conference in scoring at 57 points a game while sitting sixth in defense, surrendering 63.4 points a night.
- Rollins leads the all-time series 69-6 against the Lions, dating back to their first match-up in 1976.
- Rollins has won nine of the last 11 match-ups, but just one of the last three.
- The Tars had a 33-game winning streak against Leo, running from 1998 to 2013.
- Rollins won this season's earlier match-up 67-54 at Saint Leo. Carly McLendon had 13 points for the Tars while Asia Royster scored 14 for the Lions.
- Rollins is 35th nationally with 4.3 blocks a game and 48th with 77 total.
- Rollins scoring defense ranks 59th in the country.
- The Tars 16 offensive rebounds a night ranks 20th in Division II.
- Carly McLendon (RC) is 18th in the nation with 48 total blocks; 17th at 2.7 a game.
- Rollins was picked seventh in the SSC Preseason Poll; Saint Leo was picked ninth.
- Rollins Head Coach Glenn Wilkes Jr. is 706-258 in his 33-year career. He has the third-most wins among Division II coaches and fourth-most all-time… Anthony Crocitto is in his third year leading the Lions and has a 20-43.
Next up: The Tars head back out on the road Wednesday, February 6, visiting Nova Southeastern in Ft. Lauderdale. Tipoff is slated for 5:30 p.m. Fans can listen to the action live on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.