Rollins (10-11, 7-8 SSC) vs. Tampa (17-6, 11-4 SSC)
Wednesday, February 13, 2019 | 5:30 p.m.
Winter Park | Warden Arena
Set-up: Now in the final stretch of the regular season, Rollins welcomes Tampa to Warden Arena on Wednesday night. The Tars are seventh in the Sunshine State Conference standings and have a solid resume for a bid to the SSC tournament. The top eight teams at season's end get in with Rollins sitting three games up on ninth place Saint Leo. A win over Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday stopped a four-game skid and gave the Tars momentum with five games left on the schedule. Tampa has won seven of its last eight and is second in the league standings, 2.5 games back of leader Florida Southern. The Spartans boast the nation's eighth-ranked defense, allowing just 53.2 points a game. Just four times UT has allowed teams to score in the 60s this year. The Spartans are 5-4 on the road this season while Rollins is 8-4 at home.
Tracking the Tars: Rollins got back to its winning ways on Saturday, beating Palm Beach Atlantic 62-54. Rachel Lia led Rollins with 12 points, six rebounds and four assists on the day. Fellow sophomore Rachel Jablonski continued her hot streak, netting 11. The Tars are led by Carly McLendon's 9.5 points and 7.8 rebounds a game. Her 54 blocks tops the SSC and .581 shooting percentage is second best in the league. Yari Martinez-Toro is scoring 9.2 points a night, but has sat the last two due to injury. Denise Daniels averages eight points and 4.9 rebounds with Jaylyn Harrison and Rachel Jablonski both scoring 6.7 a night. Over the last seven, Jablonski is scoring more than 12 a game with 21 three-pointers. The Tars are sixth in the SSC in offense with 63.3 points a game and are holding teams to a conference fourth-best 59.6. Rollins is outrebounding teams by 7.6 a game, the best in the league by more than three rebounds a night.
Tracking the Spartans: Tampa visits Rollins with a shot at the regular season championship heading into the final three weeks of the season. The Spartans are coming off a 65-52 win over Florida Tech on Saturday. Staja Tyghter scored 19 and hauled in 11 rebounds to lead the Spartans. Dori Nagy and Julia Ingram both netted 13. Tyghter puts up 14 points and 8.7 points a game to lead UT. Nagy is getting 13.8 points and a team-best nine rebounds a game while shooting 53 percent from the field. Emily Eshoo is getting 9.9 points a night. UT scores 61.6 a game and is allowing just 53.2 a game.
- Rollins is 55-44 all-time against Tampa.
- The Tars lead the all-time series 30-14 in Winter Park.
- Tampa has won the last two over the Tars, including a 55-44 loss at UT in January.
- Rollins ranks 22nd nationally in offensive rebounds per game at 16.0.
- Carly McLendon (RC) is 18th in the nation with 2.7 blocks per game and is 22nd in total blocks (53).
- With 232 career blocks, Carly McLendon (RC) is now alone in fourth-place on the SSC's all-time blocks list. UT's Sheena Walton (396) and Jessie McDowell (298) lead the way. Nova Southeastern's Stephanie Sarosi (266) is third.
- Tampa is eighth nationally in scoring defense allowing 53.6 a game.
- Teams shoot just 35 percent from the field against Tampa; 1st in the SSC
- UT is fourth nationally in fewest fouls on the season.
- Rollins was picked seventh in the SSC Preseason Poll; Tampa came in No. 3
- Rollins Head Coach Glenn Wilkes Jr. is 707-260 in his 33-year career. He has the third-most wins among Division II coaches and fourth-most all-time…Tom Jessee is 507-250 in 26 years as a head coach.
Next up: Rollins is on the road Saturday, February 18, traveling to Barry. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. Fans can listen to the action live on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.