Rollins (10-13, 7-10 SSC) vs. Eckerd (18-7, 12-5 SSC) Senior Day!
Saturday, February 23, 2019 | 2 p.m.
Winter Park, Fla. | Warden Arena
Set-up: Currently tied for sixth in the Sunshine State Conference standings with three games to play, Rollins can ensure itself a spot in the postseason with a win in any one of its remaining games. The Tars welcome Eckerd to Warden Arena on Saturday for Senior Day. Rollins has dropped two in a row and four of its last five and will be looking to get some positive momentum rolling into the postseason. The Tritons are fighting for a SSC Tournament first round home game, sitting third in the SSC standings at 12-5. EC was riding a seven-game winning streak, but had it stopped Wednesday by 18th-ranked Florida Southern. Between neutral site and true road games, EC is 10-3 away from St. Petersburg on the year. Rollins is 8-5 at home. Prior to the game, the Tars will honor seniors Vernisha Andrews and Carly McLendon.
Tracking the Tars: While idle on Wednesday, Rollins saw key losses around the league and moved into a tie for sixth in the conference standings. The Tars last time out was a 72-69 overtime loss at Barry a week ago. Rollins had two looks to win in regulation, but couldn't come out of Miami Shores with the win. Tianna Rosser had a career day with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Carly McLendon tallied 16 points and a career-best 16 rebounds. Yari Martinez-Toro added 14 points and six rebounds. McLendon is scoring 9.7 points and grabbing 8.1 rebounds a game to lead the Tars. Martinez-Toro adds 9.1 points a game while Denise Daniels contributes 7.7 points a game. Rollins is sixth in the league in offense at 63 points a game while sitting fourth in defense, surrendering just 60.4 points a night.
Tracking the Tritons: With three games left in the regular season, Eckerd still has an outside shot at the SSC regular season title, but is more playing for SSC Tournament seeding the penultimate Saturday of the season. EC had its seven-game winning streak halted by Florida Southern on Wednesday night, 69-56. Chelsea Johnson scored 15 points and grabbed five rebounds to lead the way. Yarden Danan added 13 points and four rebounds. Johnson is averaging 13.7 points a game to lead the EC offense. Danan averages 11.3 points a night and Zoe Richards is getting 10.6 off the bench. Eckerd is third in the league in offense, putting up 70.7 points a game and is second in defense, surrendering 55.6 a night.
- Rollins leads the all-time series with Eckerd 70-22.
- The Tars are 35-9 all-time at home against the Tritons.
- EC has won the last three meetings, including a 75-52 win in St. Pete earlier in the year.
- Rollins ranks 17th in the nation in rebounding margin, beating teams on the glass by 8.1 a game.
- Rollins is 27th in the nation with the fewest turnovers on the season (331).
- Carly McLendon (RC) is 27th in the nation in blocks per game (2.4)
- Carly McLendon (RC) is fourth in Sunshine State Conference history with 232 blocks. UT's Sheena Walton (396) and Jessie McDowell (298) lead the way. Nova Southeastern's Stephanie Sarosi (266) is third.
- Eckerd is ranked 16th in the country in scoring defense (55.6 ppg)
- Eckerd is 12th nationally in free throw shooting (77 percent).
- Rollins Head Coach Glenn Wilkes Jr. is 707-262 in his 33-year career…Paul Honsinger is in his 13th season leading Eckerd and has a career record of 208-154.
Next up: Rollins closes the 2018-19 season with its final two games on the road. The Tars visit Florida Tech on Wednesday, February 27 at 5:30 p.m. They conclude the year in Lakeland, meeting rival Florida Southern on Saturday, March 3, also at 5:30 p.m. Fans can watch all games live on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.