GOLDEN, Colo. (September 2, 2017) – Facing their second nationally-ranked program in as many days, the Rollins volleyball team was unable to overcome a stout tenth-ranked Augustana University squad, falling to the Vikings by a score of 3-0 (18-25, 6-25, 20-25). The Tars have one final match to play in the 2017 Courtyard and Residence Inn by Marriott Oredigger Classic hosted by the Colorado School of Mines, and will take on 24th-ranked Northern State later this evening.
The loss drops the Tars to a mark of 1-2 on the season, while the Vikings advance to 2-1.
Bri Civiero led the team in kills with 11, while Cassidy Cason earned a team high 28 assists on 38 attempts for a set percentage of .737. Rachel Fletcher led the team in digs with 11, while Shannon McDonough earned a team high two blocks.
Augustana was led by Courtney Place and Ashley Wilson with 12 and 10 kills, respectively, while Alex Banker earned a match high 35 assists. In all, the Vikings had seven service aces, led by Hannah Justesen with three. Both Banker and Tahlyr Banks closed out the match with 11 digs, while Wilson led the team in blocks with four.
- Out of their three matches the Tars have played in their young campaign, two have been against opponents ranked 13th or higher: No. 13 Wayne State, and No. 10 Augustana
- The match was tied eight times, but only saw the lead change hands twice, both occurring in set one.
- Set One: The Tars opened up to a 5-2 lead, but the Vikings battled back to score four straight to earn the 6-5 advantage. Rollins knotted the score at 6-6 on a kill by Civiero, but Augustana scored the next three points to open their lead by three, 9-6 and never looked back as they took set one, 25-18.
- Set Two: The Vikings held the lead the entire second stanza, beginning with a 6-2 lead before a Civiero kill cut the Tars' deficit to three, 6-3. Augustana followed with a 13 point run to pull out to a sizeable 19-3 lead bfore McDonough was able to halt the streak with a kill to set the score at 19-4. The Vikings continued to roll through the set to take a 2-0 match lead.
- Set Three: Rollins held tight with the Vikings in a back and forth battle to kick off set three, and saw themselves tied with the tenth-ranked team in the nation at 14-14. The Vikings used two straight kills to their advantage to pull out to a slim 16-14 lead, and held the Tars from significant runs for the remainder of the set. Despite trailing by just one late in the set, 20-19, the Tars were unable to halt the Vikings as they went on a four point run to pull ahead, 24-19 before sealing the deal with a final score of 25-20 to take the match.
- Date: Saturday | September 2, 2017
- Opponent: No. 24 Northern State
- Location: Golden, Colo.
- Time: 5:30 p.m. (EST)
- Coverage: Live Stats
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.