ST. LEO, Fla. (September 22, 2017) – Taking on their fifth nationally-ranked program in seven matches, the Rollins volleyball team took the 21st-ranked Saint Leo Lions to four sets but were unable to overcome their Sunshine State Conference foe in a 3-1 (15-25, 13-25, 25-20, 20-25) loss on Friday evening in the Bowman Center. The loss drops the Tars to a mark of 1-6 and 0-3 against Sunshine State Conference opponents, while the Lions advance to 6-0, and 1-0 in SSC play.
Shannon McDonough led the team in kills on the night with 16 kills and added 10 digs for a double-double. Cassidy Cason matched McDonough's double-double as she earned 33 assists and 13 digs on the evening. Bri Civiero notched 10 kills on the night, while Rachel Fletcher earned a team second best 12 digs. MaryBethany Vincent led the team in blocks with seven total, earning six assisted blocks and the team's lone solo block on the night. Off the serve, Jaime Becker, Cason, and Sam Schlesman each earned service aces.
Saint Leo was led by Victoria Omoregie and Ashley Quero with 18 and 17 kills, respectively. Britt Sederholm led the team in digs with 14, followed by Anna Garrett with 10. Garrett also dished out the assists for the Lions, earning 47 of Saint Leo's 53 assists on the night. At the net, Annabella Arcari put up three assisted blocks, while Omoregie, Garrett, and Dallas Jasper each put up two.
COACH ROBINSON'S THOUGHTS:
""I thought St. Leo did a great job of putting us on our heels defensively tonight, and we struggled to put that same level of pressure on them, particularly in sets one and two. I do think we responded well in set three, and I was very pleased with the production we got from several players off the bench in those last two sets."
- Both Shannon McDonough and Cassidy Cason earned double-doubles on the evening.
- McDonough notched a double-double with 16 kills and 10 digs
- Cason earned a double-double with 33 assists and 13 digs
- Rollins notched the first point in sets one through three before the Lions were able to score first in the fourth set.
- Set One: The Tars were matched with the Lions at 3-3 before Saint Leo scored three straight to pull ahead 6-3. The Tars and Lions traded blows to set the score at 7-5 in favor of Saint Leo, but Rollins found themselves unable to quell a five point sprint by the Lions, leaving them in a 12-5 deficit. The Tars pulled back to within three, 16-13, but another four point run by Saint Leo saw the Tars trying to dig out of a 20-13 hole. Despite the Tars' best efforts, the 21st-ranked Lions closed out the first set with a final score of 25-15.
- Set Two: Set two opened up with the Tars taking a quick 2-0 lead, but the Lions pounced back and scored six of the eight ensuing points to pull ahead to a 6-4 advantage. Saint Leo extended their lead by five, 12-7, but the Tars battled back and scored three straight to pull to within two, 12-10. Rollins' streak was halted by Saint Leo, who went on to post a nine point streak to pull out to a 21-10 advantage and never looked back as they claimed the win in the second set by a final score of 25-13.
- Set Three: The Tars opened up the third set opening up to a 5-3 lead, but a quick point by the Lions set the score at 5-4. Both teams traded blows to give the Tars a 6-4 advantage, but two straight points by Saint Leo saw the score tied at 6-6. Rollins bounced back, scoring seven straight to pull out to a 13-6 lead. The Lions bounced back to score four straight shortly after, pulling to within three of the Tars, 14-11, but an attack error by Omoregie gave the Tars a 15-11 advantage. Rollins extended their lead by five, 16-11, but three straight points by Saint Leo saw the Lions pull to within two, 16-14. After some back-and-forth play, Rollins held onto a slim 20-19 lead, but three straight points by the Tars saw them pull back out to a four point lead, 23-19. Saint Leo notched the next point off of a bad set by Cason, but the Tars earned Set Point thanks to a kill by McDonough off of a Cason assist, and sealed the deal thanks to an assisted block by Mary Bethany Vincent and Bri Civiero to claim their first set victory of the night.
- Set Four: The score was tied as late as 11-11 after an attack error by Saint Leo gave the Tars the edge. However, the Lions notched 11 of the 15 ensuing points to take a 22-15 lead. The Tars pulled to within four late in the set, 24-20, but Saint Leo closed out the match with a 25-20 win in the fourth set.
- Date: Saturday | September 23, 2017
- Opponent: Eckerd College
- Location: McArthur Center | St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Time: 4:00 p.m.
- Coverage: LIVE STATS | VIDEO
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.