Tars Put Up a Fight Against the Spartans in Three Sets
WINTER PARK, Fla. (September 11, 2018) – The Rollins volleyball team squared up against their third nationally-ranked opponent this season, taking on the 16th-ranked University of Tampa Spartans on Tuesday evening at the Bob Martinez Center in Tampa, Fla. Despite holding tight with the Spartans in sets one and three, the Tars found themselves at the bottom end of a 3-0 final decision (21-25, 13-25, 23-25) in a hard fought Sunshine State Conference competition.
The loss drops Rollins to a mark of 3-7 and 1-2 in SSC action, while the nationally-ranked Spartans advance to a record of 10-1, and 3-0 in SSC play.
Leading the way on the night was sophomore Leslie Seda, who earned nine kills while adding two aces, four digs, and one block. Junior Madison Jenkins earned six kills with a hitting percentage of .417, while senior Kerra Tirado tallied five while hitting .400 on the night. Sophomore Sarah Konemann led the Tars in assists with 20, while freshman Rebecca Kuehn earned four on the day. Senior Rachel Fletcher led the team with nine digs, followed closely by freshman Jessika Linnemeyer with eight. At the net, the Tars saw one block-assist apiece from Seda, Koneman, Sam Schlesman and Tirado.
Tampa saw a match high 11 kills from Sorrell Houghton, while Katie McKiel added nine, and Melissa Elias contributed eight. Sammy Mueller dished out a match best 36 assists, while Elias led the team in digs with nine. The Spartans put up five blocks as a team, with Danielle Christian earning the lone solo block of the match, and Mueller and Nylah Demps earning one assisted block apiece, while Taylor Fosler put up two block-assists on the evening.
- Throughout the match, the score was tied eight times while the lead changed hands on five occasions.
- The Tars have just one more home match remaining in the month of September, hosting Eckerd College on Saturday, September 15 in a 4 p.m. match-up. The game has been tabbed as the Colorful and Courageous Game, where the Tars will be collecting coloring books and crayons for pediatric cancer patients, as well as collecting donations for pediatric cancer research in conjunction with the Go4theGoal organization.
- Rollins and Tampa have now matched up 95 times since their first meeting on November 12, 1977. The Spartans lead the all-time series, 89-6.
- Last time out against the Spartans in 2017, the Tars took UT to a fifth set where they ultimately fell in a heartbreaking 15-17 decision (15-25, 31-29, 14-25, 27-25, 15-27) on November 3, 2017. Despite the loss, the Tars still split the season with Tampa, having won their home match on September 30, 2017 by a score of 3-1 (25-23, 22-25, 23-25, 17-25). The victory marked the first time in seven years that Rollins had taken down Tampa. The last time Rollins earned a victory over the Spartans was on September 25, 2010 when the Tars won, 3-0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-21).
- Date: Saturday | September 15, 2018
- Opponent: Eckerd College
- Location: Warden Arena in the Alfond Sports Center | Winter Park, Fla.
- Times: 4:00 PM
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.