Rollins Swept by Lynn in Boca Raton Despite Hard-Fought Second Set
Boca Raton, Fla. (September 29, 2018) – The Rollins volleyball team found their rhythm in the second set, but were unable to joust down the Lynn Fighting Knights as they fell by a final score of 3-0 (11-25, 24-26, 13-25) on Saturday afternoon in the de Hoernle Center on the campus of Lynn University. The loss marks the Tars' sixth-straight, and drops them to a record of 3-12, and 1-7 in Sunshine State Conference action, while Lynn advances to 9-6, and 3-5 in SSC play.
Junior Madison Jenkins led the Tars in kills on the afternoon with eight, followed by five from senior Sam Schlesman. Freshman Rebecca Kuehn dished out the assists for Rollins, earning 17 of the teams 21 total assists, and added three kills as she amassed a kill percentage of .750 on the day. Fellow freshman Jessika Linnemeyer earned a team best 12 digs, and added three assists of her own. Kuehn also led the team in blocks with two, while Jenkins and Schlesman earned one apiece. Senior Rachel Fletcher earned a team best two service aces.
The Fighting Knights saw a match high 18 kills from Rafaela Fonseca, who added 12 digs for a double-double. Also earning a double-doubles on the day was Sonja Udovcic with 13 kills and 17 digs, and Isadora Nicolai with 37 assists and 10 digs. Nicolai led Lynn with three aces, as well. The Fighting Knights saw four blocks from Lauren Odom, who put up one solo block and three assisted, while Fonseca earned three assisted blocks of her own.
- Lynn opened the first set rattling off nine straight points and never looked back as they took the first set, 11-25.
- Rollins found their rhythm mid-way through the second set, tying the score at 14-14 in, and again at 16-16. The Tars then took their first lead of the match with their 17th point of the set, and rotation error by the Fighting Knights put the Tars up, 18-16. Stellar work by Linnemeyer with consecutive impressive digs helped the Tars pull ahead to a 19-16 lead, but Lynn fought back over the ensuing points to regain the lead at 23-22. The Tars fought back and knotted the score at 23-23, but Lynn gained the edge before Rollins could pull even once again thanks to a kill by Fletcher to tie the score at 24-24. Lynn earned the final two points of the set to take a 2-0 match lead with a 24-26 second set win.
- The Tars held Lynn to just five kills in the second set, while earning 10 of their own.
- Lynn led 7-23 in the third set, but the Tars rattled off six straight points to pull to within 10, 13-23, before the Fighting Knights could secure two quick points to close out the match.
- Rollins trails the series against Lynn, 18-24. The first time the two teams matched up on the court was back in 1997, where Rollins defeated Lynn with a 3-0 sweep (15-5, 15-3, 15-4) on October 25.
- Last time out against Lynn, Rollins fell in a five-set heartbreaker to the Fighting Knights (18-25, 25-18, 24-26, 26-20, 11-15) on November 17, 2017, in Boca Raton.
- The last time Rollins defeated Lynn was on October 19, 2017, where the Tars earned a 3-2 (26-28, 25-22, 25-22, 15-6) in Warden Arena.
- Date: Tuesday | October 2, 2018
- Opponent: Florida Tech
- Location: The Clemente Center | Melbourne, Fla.
- Time: 7:00 PM
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.