Tars Fall to Florida Southern in SSC Action, 3-0
WINTER PARK, Fla. (October 6, 2018) – Squaring up against Florida Southern, who received votes on the AVCA DII Coaches Poll this week, the Rollins volleyball team found themselves stymied by the Mocs in Sunshine State Conference play on Saturday afternoon in Warden Arena.
The loss dips Rollins' record to a mark of 3-15, and 1-10 in SSC play, while the Mocs advance their mark to 12-7, and 7-4 in conference.
Sophomore Leslie Seda earned a team best seven kills and added 10 digs on the day, while junior Madison Jenkins matched Seda in kills and added three digs of her own. Leading the team in assists was sophomore Sarah Konemann with 16, while freshman Sarah Kuehn handed out eight. Senior Rachel Fletcher led the match in digs with 18 on the day. The Tars put up seven total blocks as a team, led by Candace Doxey and Kerra Tirado with three apiece, while Sam Schlesman earned a solo block. Schlesman added six kills and four digs to her afternoon.
The Mocs were led by Nicole Mattson who earned 16 kills, while Rachael Martin tallied nine and Whitney Drost notched seven. Bethany Besancenez handed out a match high 31 assists. Florida Southern was hot off the serve, earning eight aces on the afternoon, with three coming from Gabby Fresh. Mattson posted a double-double as she added a team best 12 digs, while Fresh dug out 10 of her own. The Mocs put up four total blocks as a team, with Tierra Porter and Anica Popadic earning one solo block apiece, while Martin and Drost earch earned one assisted block.
- Florida Southern received votes on the AVCA DII Poll released on October 1.
- The score was tied on six different occasions, including three times in the first set. Florida Southern held onto the lead for the majority of the match, but the Tars started out holding onto the edge in the beginning of the second set before the Mocs regained the lead.
- Rollins and Florida Southern have matched up 98 times since their first meeting on October 13, 1976. The Mocs lead the all-time series, 90-8.
- Today's match marked the first time the two teams have met in official competition this season.
- Last time out against Florida Southern, Rollins was defeated by the Mocs, who earned their 13th straight win with a 3-1 (9-25, 22-25, 25-22, 23-25) victory over the Tars on November 4, 2017 in Lakeland.
- The last time Rollins defeated the Moccasins was on Friday, November 15, 2013, at home in Warden Arena. The Tars earned a 3-1 (25-22, 16-25, 25-20, 25-20) win over FSC, earning their 21st win of the season.
- Date: Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Opponent: Embry-Riddle
- Location: ICI Center | Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Time: 7:00 PM
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.