Rollins Falls to Tritons for Second Time This Season
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (October 11, 2018) – Despite a hard fought first set that saw the Rollins volleyball team lead by as much as six, 15-9, the Tars suffered a heartbreaking 3-0 (18-25, 7-25, 17-25) loss to the Eckerd College Tritons on Thursday evening in the McArthur Center.
The loss drops the Tars to a mark of 3-17, and 1-12 in Sunshine State Conference play, while Eckerd snaps a four game losing streak and advances to 9-10, and 4-8 in SSC action.
Leslie Seda and Kerra Tirado led the team with five kills apiece, while Candace Doxey and Madison Jenkins earned three each. Freshman Marlee Johnson earned two kills of her own, while senior Sam Schlesman tallied one. Freshman Rebecca Kuehn dished out a team best 12 assists on the night. Schlesman, Kuehn, and Rachel Fletcher each earned an ace. Fletcher earned a team best 11 digs, followed by Jessika Linnemeyer and Madison Jenkins with five apiece. Tirado led the Tars in blocks on the night with three, all assisted, while Schlesman notched the team's lone solo block of the match.
Earning a double-double on the day for Eckerd was Lauren Kadilis with 26 assists and 14 digs. Abbie O'Ferrell notched a match high 14 kills, while Kadilis led the game in assists. The Tritons notched four service aces on the night, led by Arielle Erillo with two. Behind Kadilis' 14 digs, Erillo notched 13, and Paula Hoffman notched 12. The Tritons put up 10 blocks, all assisted, led by Sarah Johnshoy with four, while Paton Meader earned three and Kadilis tallied two.
- Rollins leads the all-time series against the Tritons, 54-25
- After trailing by five early on, 6-1, the Tars fought back to knot the score at 8-8. The Tars took their first lead of the match on their ninth point of the set, pulling ahead 9-8, and extended their lead by as much as six, 15-9. However, Eckerd stormed back and outscored the Tars 16-3 to close out the first set with a final score of 25-18.
- The match saw a total of seven tie scores, as well as five lead changes throughout the three sets.
- The Tars are riding an 11 match, 33-set skid.
- Last time out against the Tritons, Rollins was defeated by a final score of 3-0 (22-25, 19-25, 17-25) on Saturday, September 15, 2018
- The Tars' last victory over Eckerd was on Saturday, September 23, 2017, when they defeated the Tritons by a score of 3-2 (10-25, 22-25, 25-15, 25-20, 15-23)
- Date: Friday, October 19
- Opponent: TBA
- Tournament: 2018 South Region Crossover
- Location: Orlando Sports Center | Orlando, Fla.
- Time: TBA
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.