Rollins Falls to Christian Brothers and Union on Day Two
ORLANDO, Fla. (October 20, 2018) – The Rollins volleyball team closed out their 2018 South Region Crossover schedule on Saturday, squaring up against Christian Brothers University to start the day, and concluding with an afternoon contest against Union University. The Tars fought hard throughout the day, but dropped both matches to wrap up their tournament appearance with a record of 1-2 in two days of action. With the two losses on Saturday, Rollins moves to a record of 4-19. Christian Brothers wraps up the weekend with a record of 12-15, while Union University closes out their appearance with a mark of 6-22 overall.
AGAINST CHRISTIAN BROTHERS:
Senior Sam Schlesman led the team with 14 kills and an attack percentage of .417 on the morning, while Candance Doxey and Kerra Tirado totaled 13 kills apiece, with Doxey marking a new personal best. Fellow freshman Rebecca Kuehn dished out a personal high 43 assists, and added two kills, five digs, and two blocks. Leslie Seda earned 12 digs to lead the Tars, followed by Rachel Fletcher with eight. Both Seda and Tirado earned one solo block each, and Tirado added three block assists for four on the morning. Doxey, Kuehn, and Schlesman each put up two block assists. The Tars amassed 11 aces, led by Kuehn and Jessika Linnemeyer with three each.
The Lady Bucs were led by Emma Lenoir and Miaya Smith with 17 and 16 kills, respectively. Alexa Henderson handed out 41 assists. CBU notched seven aces, with Henderson and Smith earning two each. Lenoir added 14 digs for a double-double, while Joze Smith was close behind in digs with 13. Mollie Wadsworth put up a match best eight blocks, all assisted, while Smith added six block assists of her own.
Doxey saw her second straight game with double-digit kills, earning a team best 10 against the Bulldogs. Kuehn turned out 20 assists, followed by Sarah Konemann with nine. Rachel Fletcher led the team in digs with 14, and notched the Tars' lone ace on the afternoon. At the net, Tirado put up a team best five blocks, all assisted, followed by Doxey and Madison Jenkins with three block assists apiece.
Union saw a team best eight kills from Meghan Delaney and Grace Roberts, while Delaney Peterson added six of her own. Rebecca Sexton turned out a team best 18 assists, followed by Claressa Kohler with 12. Abbie Rahn totaled 17 digs on the afternoon to lead the match. Both Peterson and Kristen Bukowsky earned three block assists apiece.
- The Tars and Christian Brothers Buccaneers first matched up on October 28, 1988, with Rollins earning a sweep over the Bucs in St. Louis, Mo. Since that match, Rollins has won five of the seven contests. The most recent showdown with CBU resulted in the Tars earning a 3-0 sweep (25-15, 25-13, 28-26) on October 14 at the 2017 South Region Crossover held in Hoover, Ala.
- Against the Bucs, the score was tied 26 times, including nine times in both sets two and four. The lead changed hands throughout the match 13 times, including seven times in the first set.
- The Tars fell by just two points in the first and second set, and were bested in set four by only four points.
- Candace Doxey earned a new personal best in kills with 13 against the Lady Bucs.
- Rebecca Kuehn earned a new personal high with 43 assists against Christian Brothers.
- Last time out against the Union University Bulldogs, Rollins picked up a convincing 3-0 win on Friday, October 17, 2014. Rollins earned the 25-16, 25-15, 25-12 sweep on their home court in Warden Arena in a 2014 Crossover that was held at both Rollins and Florida Southern. The Tars and Bulldogs are now tied at 1-1 in the all-time program series.
- Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2018
- Opponents: No. 6 Tampa
- Location: Warden Arena | Alfond Sports Center | Winter Park, Fla.
- Time: 7:00 pm
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.