Rollins Unable to Stymie Spartans in SSC Match-Up
WINTER PARK, Fla. (October 23, 2018) – Entering back into Sunshine State Conference action, the Rollins volleyball team welcomed the fourth-ranked University of Tampa Spartans to Warden Arena on Tuesday evening. The Tars hung tight in the first set, but ultimately fell to the nationally-ranked Spartans by a score of 3-0 (26-28, 12-15, 19.25).
The loss drops Rollins to a record of 4-20, and 1-13 in Sunshine State Conference action, while Tampa stays perfect in conference play and advances to a record of 24-1, and 14-0 in the SSC.
Senior Sam Schlesman walked away from the match with a team best 10 kills while hitting .300 on the night, and added two digs and block to her performance. Madison Jenkins contributed seven kills, and added a dig of her own. Freshman Rebecca Kuehn dished out 22 of the Tars' 27 assists, and added two kills, nine digs, and a block. Both Candace Doxey and Kerra Tirado put up four blocks each, with Doxey notching two solo and two assisted blocks, while Tirado earned one solo block and a team high three assisted. Three Tars earned aces on the night, with Jessika Linnemeyer, Rachel Fletcher, and Kuehn all besting the Spartans off the serve. Leading the team in digs was Kuehn, followed by Alondra Rodriguez with five, and Leslie Seda and Linnemeyer with four apiece.
The Spartans saw a match high 14 kills from Katie McKiel, while Taylor Fosler and Sorrel Houghton earned nine and eight, respectively. Sammy Mueller handed out a match high 38 assists, while Melissa Elias earned a team second-best three. Tampa saw four Spartans earn one ace on the evening, while Nicole Dominguez led the team in digs with 14. Both Kamari Potter and McKiel put up two block assists apiece.
- The match saw a total of 23 tie scores, and nine lead changes. In the first set, the score was tied on 18 different occasions, and saw the lead change hands nine times.
- Rollins and Tampa have matched up 96 times since their first meeting on November 12, 1977. The Spartans lead the all-time series, 90-6.
- Last season against the Spartans, the Tars took UT to a fifth set where they ultimately fell in a heartbreaking 15-17 decision (15-25, 31-29, 14-25, 27-25, 15-27) on November 3, 2017. Despite the loss, the Tars still split the season with Tampa, having won their home match on September 30, 2017 by a score of 3-1 (25-23, 22-25, 23-25, 17-25). The victory marked the first time in seven years that Rollins had taken down Tampa. The last time Rollins earned a victory over the Spartans was on September 25, 2010 when the Tars won, 3-0 (25-23, 22-25, 25-23, 25-17).
- The Tars have matched up against seven opponents who have been nationally ranked or received votes on the AVCA DII Coaches Poll at the time of competition.
- Date: Friday, October 26, 2018
- Opponents: Palm Beach Atlantic
- Location: Warden Arena | Alfond Sports Center | Winter Park, Fla.
- Time: 7:00 pm
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.