Tars Fall to Palm Beach Atlantic in Straight Sets
WINTER PARK, Fla. (October 26, 2018) – Hosting their second-straight nationally ranked opponent this week, the Rollins volleyball team squared up against the 17th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish on Friday evening in Warden Arena. Rollins gave the Sailfish a run for their money in the first set, but could not hold on as they fell by a score of 3-0 (23-25, 16-25, 14-25).
The loss drops Rollins to a mark of 4-21, and 1-14 in Sunshine State Conference play, while the nationally-ranked Sailfish win their tenth straight and advance their record to 24-3, and 13-3 in SSC action.
Both Leslie Seda and Sam Schlesman tallied nine kills apiece on the evening, with Seda adding 11 digs to be one kill shy of a double-double. Rebecca Kuehn dished out 22 assists and added two digs and two kills on the night. Senior Rachel Fletcher earned a team best 15 kills, and led the team in aces with two. Schlesman had a solid night on defense, posting up the Tars' only two blocks of the match.
The Sailfish were led by Amber Rowoldt with 11 kills, while Sophie Hoekstra was on her heels with 10. Ally Rohn notched a double-double on the night with 16 assists and 12 digs, while Lilly Turner led PBA in digs with 16. Adding 14 assists was Molly Burkhardt, who contributed two digs of her own. PBA put up a total of eight block assists and one solo block as a team, with Jennie Anderson leading the way with four block assists, while Hoekstra earned the squad's lone solo block and added two block assists for three total.
- The match saw a total of 18 tie scores, and 12 lead changes. In the first set, the score was tied nine times and changed hands six times.
- The last time Rollins and PBA matched-up was on September 22, 2018, when the Sailfish were ranked third on the AVCA DII Poll. The Tars fell in three (11-25, 9-15, 14-25).
- The Tars' last victory over PBA was on Tuesday, September 24, 2013. Rollins defeated PBA by a score of 3-2 (27-29, 27-25, 28-26, 25-14, 15-12).
- Since 2006, the Tars are 10-12 against PBA in the program series. The Sailfish have won the last 11 match-ups against the Tars.
- Date: Saturday, October 27, 2018
- Opponent: Nova Southeastern
- Location: Warden Arena | Alfond Sports Center | Winter Park, Fla.
- Time: 4:00 pm
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.