Tars Fall in Straight Sets to Florida Southern
LAKELAND, Fla. (November 9, 2018) – The Rollins volleyball team was unable to stymy a stout Florida Southern squad, falling to the Mocs in straight sets (18-25, 15-25, 10-25) on Friday evening in the Jenkins Field House. With the loss, the Tars fall to 4-25, and 1-18 in Sunshine State Conference action, while the Moccasins advance to a record of 20-10 overall and 12-7 in SSC play.
The Tars saw a team best five kills and nine digs from sophomore Leslie Seda, who added one block assist on the night for 5.5 points overall. Kerra Tirado notched four kills of her own, followed by Rachel Fletcher with three. Freshman Rebecca Kuehn handed out a team high 10 assists, while Sarah Konemann dished out four, and Linnemeyer earned two. Linnemeyer led the team in aces with two, while Fletcher notched one of her onw. Behind Seda's nine digs, Linnemeyer tallied seven, while Fletcher and Kuehn each dug out five. Rollins saw five players earn blocks on the night, led by Sam Schlesman with three block assists, while Candace Doxey earned two of her own.
The Moccasins saw Nicole Mattson earn a double-double with 11 kills and 12 digs on the evening. Behind Mattson's 11 kills, Rachael Martin tallied nine, followed by Whitney Drost and Buse Ene with seven apiece. Bethany Besancenez earned a match bet 32 assists, earning 32 of the Mocs' 38 assists on the day. Gabby Fresh led the game with three aces, earning half of the team's total. Fresh also led the team in digs with 15, with Mattson following with 12, and Ene earning 11. Tierra Porter led the team in blocks with three, including two solo blocks, while Drost earned a block assist and Martin put up a solo block of her own.
- Rollins and Florida Southern have matched up 99 times since their first meeting on October 13, 1976. The Mocs lead the all-time series, 91-8.
- Last time out against the Mocs, the Tars fell in straight sets (18-25, 15-25, 14-25) on October 6 in Warden Arena.
- The last time Rollins defeated the Moccasins was on Friday, November 15, 2013, at home in Warden Arena. The Tars earned a 3-1 (25-22, 16-25, 25-20, 25-20) win over FSC, earning their 21st win of the season.
- Date: Saturday, November 10, 2018
- Opponent: Saint Leo University
- Location: Marion Bowman Activities Center | St. Leo, Fla.
- Time: 6:00 pm
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.